Are you interested in amazing things to do in Montenegro?
Montenegro is a small country in the Balkans having a population of just 628,066 people. But what it lacks in size, it makes up for in beauty. Think medieval cities, UNESCO-protected parks, winding bays, and lavish landscape. Montenegro is one of the newest countries in the world and tourism hasn’t entirely made its way there. So, if you ask me, now is the best time to visit Montenegro.
Here are few beautiful and awesome things to do in Montenegro!
Kotor Old Town & Bay of Koto
Kotor, a historic town which is the most attractive place. It’s a medieval town with an old UNESCO protected Old Town enclosed by fortresses and a wall. As opposed to the neighboring city Budva, it’s historical, more intact, and way less crowded by tourists. If you’re in the area, make sure to visit Perast, which is easily reached by local bus or taxi.
Buda is ideal for swimming and partying. Only 30 minutes from Kotor, you’ll find Budva; the center of Montenegrin tourism. The city of Budva is 2,500 years old and known for its medieval walls, sandy beaches, and diverse pubs and clubs. Budva has beaches, new elegant hotels, and clubs, but to me, it seemed touristy. I liked Kotor much better.
Durmitor National Park
The main reason people wanted to visit Montenegro was to see Black Lake. The lake is in Durmitor National Park, which is home to lovely lakes and mirrored waters but also holds magnificent mountains and canyons. If you’re lucky, you might see brown bears, wolves, wild cats, eagles, and owls, although the former is less likely.
Renting Car in Montenegro
Renting a car in Montenegro from Podgorica Airport is also very easy, the roads are good, and it’s easy to find your way around. You’ll be able to drive some of Montenegro’s scenic drives and feel the real Montenegro at your own pace. So, here are a few important points.
- To hire a car you must be at least 21 years old and have had your driver’s license for at least 2 years. You don’t need an international driver’s license.
Pick up your car online and early to get the best choice and prices also check prices on car rental of different companies.
- Many rental firms have the best prices, choices, and services in Montenegro.
- Make sure you get a car powerful enough for your needs.
- You can drive your rental car to neighboring countries as long as you have a green card.
- Understand your insurance coverage and check the validity of your green card before you drive away.`
Driving Car in Montenegro
- When you get your rental car take photos and video of the car from every side. Be sure to get good shots of the bumpers, mirrors, doors, and anywhere else that’s easy to damage by any accident. This way, if there are any disputes when you drop the car off, you can easily check whether the damage was already there when you got the car.
- There are no general speed limits and the speed limits change often and without rhyme or reason. Make sure you pay attention to them and don’t go more than 5km/h above. There is a lot of police on Montenegrin roads.
- In Montenegro, you must drive with your headlights day and night.
- Your car rental deal might state that you must return the car as clean as when you got it. If you need to wash your car look for an autopraona.
- Take your time: Montenegrin roads are usually slim and windy. There will possibly be times when you’ll have to back up on a one-lane road to let another car pass. There might be times when you have to navigate a steep and pot-holed road. Just take your time and drive carefully.